Suiteness BlogFood TravelWritten by Blaire McCoyPublished February 19, 2023
The only place to book connecting hotel rooms and suites. Here's how.
Have you ever found yourself sitting down at your meal enjoying your food, and chatting with your dining companion… planning out your next meal? Well, then, saddle up and enjoy as we have here a post all about food travel.
What is food travel?
Food travel is a great way to explore new cultures, meet new people, and experience the world in a unique way. Whether you’re an adventurous eater or simply love to explore new flavors and cuisines, food travel can be a fulfilling and exciting way to satisfy your wanderlust. It’s become so difficult to understand which restaurant truly is the "best". Why should I spend my money at one restaurant, which experience am I going to spend my time at, where is my time and my money going to be best spent there are so many restaurants available, there are so many choices, and my time is finite…this is a paradox of choice situation and frankly, Queen says it best, "I want it all". Here are some tips for planning a successful food travel adventure:
The importance of food travel:
Food is an essential part of a culture and can tell a story about the people who consume it. Through food travel, one can discover unique local dishes, learn about the history of the place, and understand the traditions and customs of the people. It is a way of connecting with people through a common love of food and gaining a deeper understanding of the place and its people. Food travel also provides an opportunity to step outside of one's comfort zone and try new things. It is a way of broadening one's horizons and embracing different culinary experiences. Through food travel, one can discover new flavors, textures, and ingredients that they may not have encountered otherwise. It is also a way of supporting local businesses and promoting sustainable tourism by consuming locally sourced and produced food.
Planning a food travel adventure:
- Planning a food travel adventure requires research, preparation, and an open mind. The first step is to research the food culture of the destination. Find somewhere with flexible booking accommodations or use a concierge service. Check out this blog for Concierge services, these are free and easy to use. Look for popular local dishes and drinks, as well as any dining customs or traditions that you should be aware of. You can find this information online, in travel guides, or by talking to locals or other travelers who have visited the area.
- Once you have a sense of the local food scene, create a list of must-try dishes or restaurants. Consider visiting local markets, food festivals, or cooking classes to learn more about the local cuisine. Make sure to schedule enough time for each activity and factor in any transportation or reservations that you may need.
- When trying new dishes, it is important to be open-minded and willing to step outside of your comfort zone. Connect with locals to gain insights into the local food culture that you might not find in a guidebook. Take photos of the dishes you try and the places you visit, and jot down notes about the flavors and textures.
- Food safety is also important when traveling. Stick to cooked foods that are served hot, avoid tap water, and only consume ice made from filtered water. If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, make sure to communicate these clearly to restaurant staff or vendors.
Benefits of embracing new culinary experiences:
- Embracing new culinary experiences can have a positive impact on one's mental and physical health. Trying new foods can provide a sense of adventure and excitement, which can boost mood and reduce stress levels. It can also broaden one's palate, making it easier to consume a wider variety of healthy foods.
- Food travel can also be a way of promoting cultural understanding and empathy. Through food, one can learn about the history and traditions of a place, which can promote respect and appreciation for different cultures. It is a way of connecting with people and building relationships through a shared love of food.
1. Do your research on destinations and types of food cultures you're looking for.
2. Book your accommodations. Here is a link to a service with no fees and access to a free concierge service.
3. Plan your itinerary: Once you have a sense of the local food scene, create a list of must-try dishes or restaurants.
3. Be open-minded: Be willing to try new dishes, even if they’re unfamiliar or seem unusual.
4. Connect with locals: learn about the culture from the locals.
5. Document your experiences: Take photos and jot down notes of the flavors and textures of your most exciting or interesting dishes. Keep those memories alive!
6. Be mindful of food safety: Be mindful of food safety to avoid getting sick.
7. Have fun: Embrace the adventure!
8. Resources: For research in popular destinations, we love the Food Network and recommend making reservations through OpenTable to make your life easier. As always, the award winning Suiteness Concierge team is available as a resource if you need assistance in planning your next dining excursion. Contact us at 1(855) 260-7171.
With the right preparation, an open mind, and a sense of adventure, food travel can provide a lifetime of memorable experiences. So, what are you waiting for? Saddle up and embark on your next food travel adventure!